Monday, January 6, 2014

Our 2013 "perfect" family Christmas

Merry Christmas 2013

If I’m being honest, Christmas is never “perfect”.
It never goes exactly how I picture it in my mind the entire month of December.
Because in my mind, I’m creating a Better Homes & Garden kind of Christmas.
The kind of Christmas that takes your breath away.
Perfect packages, delicious food, impeccable decor, smiling kiddos, happy family.
No mess, no chaos, no tears, no burnt meals.
Then Christmas arrives and my day is far from being worthy of a BH&G photo shoot.
And if I wanted to, I could let this ruin the holiday for me.
I could always be “disappointed”.
I could always be “wanting more”.
I could always play the “I shoulda” game.
I could focus on all the imperfections.


Part of my breakfast was a full blown disaster–like the throw directly into the trash kind of disaster.
I set the fire alarm off while cooking bacon.
Our dog Roxy got loose.
And my home looked like a war zone.
I’m pretty sure I used every dish in the house to cook a meal.
But can I tell you something?
And will you promise to believe with your whole heart that I mean this in the LEAST cheesy way imaginable?

This Christmas was perfect.
Best yet.


This little boy that I have co-created…he's my insurance policy, my guarantee that Christmas will be magical and perfect despite my many imperfections. He reminds me that the Spirit of Christmas isn’t about creating a facade of perfection.
Christmas is about feeling and giving love.

What I loved most. Watching Grady interact with family. Trading presents back and forth. Giving hugs. And kisses. And thank you’s.  Watching Grady cuddle with his grandmas, grandpas, uncles, and aunties. Hoping Grady learns how great it feels to GIVE. I went to bed Christmas night with a full heart.

Now, time to enjoy snuggles from my boys and celebrate everything this New Year brings <3 <3








No comments:

Post a Comment